The Development of Website Application
There is no doubt that we spend a sizable portion of our days browsing the internet. This can either be in the form of an application or we use an internet browser to find what we’re looking for on the web.
That being said, there are a lot of different applications out there, one of them being web apps. A web application is simply an application that provides you with a direct link to a certain website. You could say that Facebook, is in fact, a type of web app.
In today’s article, I will go over some of the advantages and disadvantages of web app development that you should know about.
- Web applications are created with the use of HTML and CSS, both of which are well-known amongst web developers.
- Native applications, although can be feature-rich, have one big downside in that they can only run on one operating system. A web app, on the other hand, provides flexibility by offering cross-platform support which means that you can simply run this type of app on any mobile operating system.
- They can be run using a web browser.
- Web apps need not be hosted on the Play Store or App store, thus providing the developers more savings as it doesn’t have to be on the said mediums.
- Web app development is much cheaper than creating a native application. Furthermore, it doesn’t require a lot of time as well.
- There is huge importance in making sure that the code works for all platforms. Therefore, constant testing is recommended which may increase development time.
- Even though you can save money on web app development, some agencies will be forced to allocate those resources to improving their website instead.
- Web apps work best if the website works as intended. Which is why you need to make sure that your website is great so that your web app, in turn, will be great as well.
- Web apps will not be able to run without an internet connection, which may put off some offline users.
- Although it provides cross-platform support, some of the features might not run on older devices that have outdated hardware and software.
Different Kinds of Web Apps
Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages, it is now important for you to know the many kinds of it.
- Static Web Application- It resembles static web pages
- Dynamic- Users may opt to refresh the web app so that they can get fresh new information.
- Online Store- Web app that can access an online store where you can purchase goods or services.
- Portal- As the name suggests, it could lead to a specific site or portal.
- Animated- Is mainly concerned about graphical content
- Content Management System- A web app that runs similarly to the likes of Joomla and WordPress.
Web apps have their own place. Sure, we use native or even hybrid apps for many intents and purposes, but web apps are going to be part of our application repertoire in the near future.